Mixed Race Americans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One day I was walking by

Go down

One day I was walking by Empty One day I was walking by

Post  HOrganism Thu May 05, 2011 9:50 pm

One day I was walking by with a walkman on, and I caught a guy who gave me an awkward eye.

I proceeded to strike a conversation with him about the nature of his look. He told me he had never seen someone with a complexion as mine and found it intriguing. Having come from a Middle Eastern Mother and a Latino Father, I also must say that it is an odd combination.

However, odd is exactly how my life has been. Most people don't know where I am from, let alone, how to pronounce my name. I found it very frustrating that strangers are more interested in getting to know the origins of my name and my ethnic background, than what kind of person I may be (I always thought I had an interesting personality alien). Over the years I grew tired of everyone asking me the same questions so I did a little bit of research.

It turns out that in scientific terms, the word "race" is not applicable since we are all genetically homogenous, basically meaning, all the same. In fact, race is not really a term that exists in the Scientific classification. Race is just a word made up specifically for humans (probably to be able to differentiate people on politically correct terms). Our exact classification is Homo sapiens sapiens. That's it.

So when people ask me what I think of race, I tell them it's silly to try and tell people apart anymore. It is not scientifically proper, nor will it bear any meaning in the future. I say this because I feel that as time progresses, the world will become more simplified in terms of culture and people. The modern era is a great example of worldly simplification...as I like to call it.

Since the internet has become easily accessible; more and more people are starting to behave in a more similar manner (think of internet meme's and any kind of "viral" trend). Could we really say that the revolutions in the Middle East would have still happened if the citizens didn't know that there is such freedom out there, as there is in America? Now that they did happen, what will happen next? My prediction is that as countries become more free, their cultural uniqueness will start to wither away and get mixed in with the "melting pot". Once cultural stabilization has occurred, this particular country will have a mixing of ethnicities. This process will repeat itself with all countries until the world reaches ethnic equilibrium.

I predict that many, many, many years down the line people will start converging in how they look until everyone has a similar physical makeup. This of course, can only remain as a viable option if between-climate migration is as easy as it is today (airplanes). Or if global warming leads to a uniform climate.

Either way, my years of identity confusion have made me realize that it doesn't really matter. You can be black, white, green, blue, any color you want, you're still human. And in the end, that's all that matters anymore.

HOrganism

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum